Wargaming this weekend - some quick pictures and notes

Hello all!

 First, I would like to apologize for not taking any pictures or a video of the actual battles, we all thought of it halfway through the games and it seemed too late to really start. I did however take some pictures, and I'll be happy to share those!

First off:

My own Eldar Guardian Defenders, backed by a Farseer on foot and Warlock. I went with an unusual color scheme, mostly because I have a terrible love of metallics, and I found the Bleached Bone/Black of classic Ulthwe somewhat uninteresting. I used a basecoat of black, followed by a drybrush of Tin Bitz (which is fantastic, not too ostentatious, but also not a flat color) followed by a matte sealer spray, to dull the colors a little bit. Some further highlighting with the original color and gloss varnish for the spirit stones brings out the details nicely.

They not 'Eavy Metal quality by far, but they look great on the table and even stand up to a little scrutiny. That piece of terrain they're on is part of the Halo "Micro Ops/High Ground" terrain set. There are three pieces, each one is about $10-15 US on Amazon.com, and they come painted just like that. For less than $50 you can have a decent 3-piece terrain set for small games.

The gold helmets are an army-wide theme, I chose to build an army that represents the hope of the Eldar - mostly Ulthwe seers, but you may notice the symbols of all of the Craftworlds represented in places. I like the whole idea of Ynnead, the God of the Dead, being given life by the dedication of Craftworld Eldar. So, my army is a combination of forces from all of the Craftworlds on the beginning of a final crusade against Chaos, that will culminate in (possibly) the birth of Ynnead, the death of the Eldar as they are now, but the ultimate end of the Great Enemy, Slaanesh, as well.
The gold I chose because it's distinctive, joins the wildly different colored units together, and it's easy to paint. It's meant to symbolize the hope they're choosing to believe in in beginning their mission to wake Ynnead.

Next:

These bad boys were champions of the day, a half-painted squad of Tau Fire Warriors hiding behind some less-than-half-painted terrain. These little guys dish out ludicrous amounts of pain for a 9 pt model, especially with support from Markerlights, Cadre Fireblades, and Ethereals.

But! Zooming over the horizon, hoping to tackle the Tau support lines:



My Eldar Windrider Jetbikes are stars of my army, they're an early paint job with no basing. Still, they look very intimidating on the field.
The Crimson Hunter in the photo is a model I tell myself I'll use every single game and still haven't. I'm torn about it, it's a lot of points for an AV 10 model, even if it is a Flyer. But then, it's also a huge pile of BS 5 anti-tank weapons (as the Exarch at least, which is how I prefer to build it).

The paint job and modeling on that Flyer is an experiment, I liked parts of both the Eldar Hemlock Wraithfighter and the Crimson Hunter. It may not show in the picture, but I chose to use the large rune and jagged ridge line of the Hemlock (I really didn't like the cockpit-fins) and kept the rear fins of the Crimson Hunter. Since I'm sticking with the darker colors of Ulthwe, I decided to give it just an intimidating-looking red wash along its front edges.

Finally:

My friend's Tau Broadsides/Crisis Suits. Although they're not painted, I like the models in this shot. The dynamic flying backward/shooting forward Crisis Suits is exactly how they're played in the games I've seen, and that vantage point is hilariously tiny for the massive Broadsides.

I've always been afraid of Broadsides and their massive firepower, but in this game they were up against a Salamanders Ironclad Dreadnought. Not only did it nearly waltz right up to them, but they weren't even the ones to finally bring it down. A small reminder that despite how good S8 sounds and how much squishier tanks now are, AV 13 is still no joke in the game.

Comments